Last updated

02 July 2014





Parish Council


Design Statement



  Short history Boxted

  Civil War

  Migration to America

    George Philips


    John Winthrop

    Ipswich, Mass.

    The "Arabella"



    The Cross Inn

    The Greyhound


    Wig and Fidgett


    Queen's Head

    Butcher's Arms

  Historical Images


Boxted Schools


Boxted Clubs


Boxted Churches


Local information


Contact us







History of Boxted

Stop press! A 1925 home movie  showing a farm during the transition period from horse to tractor power, with special attention to the labourers who work on the farm in Boxted.

Boxted farm 1925--home movie

1000 - 1919

(White's Directory of Boxted 1848)

(Copies of the full history of Boxted cost 3.50. Contact Douglas Carter at Four Acres, Straight Road, Boxted 01206 272324)


Edwin, Lord of Boxted, organised the building of a small Christian church on the site of the present St. Peter's


Normans arrived at Boxted Hall. Earl Eustace who held court at Witham, became lord of Boxted Hall, although the Saxon lord, Aluric, continues to manage the Hall. Arturus, one of Eudo Dapifer's men, became lord of Boxted Hall. The Saxon lord, Grim, continued to live at the Hall.


Domesday Book. Boxted Hall merited a knight's fee, and Rivers Hall half, or part of a knight's fee


Robert of Horkesley and Beatrice his wife started constructing a new church at Boxted, incorporating the Saxon building within the Norman structure


Church completed and dedicated to St. Mary (became St. Peter's after the Reformation)


Roberto, a monk from Little Horkesley Priory became Boxted's first priest. In the 12th century, Boxted church was divided (moieties) between the lords of Boxted Hall and Rivers Hall, Boxted Hall having the larger share. In consequence, Boxted Hall gave its share to Little Horkesley Priory, and Rivers Hall its share to St. John's  Abbey, Colchester.


Songer's Cottage (Boxted's oldest house), built in Cage Lane.














Religious turmoil in the village, led by the Maidstones of Pond House. They wished to make Boxted a Puritan community. George Phillips, nonconformist divine, inducted vicar.


George Phillips and many other Boxted residents emigrated to America. Phillips founded a church at Watertown on the Charles River, Massachusetts. Other Boxted residents went to Ipswich, Massachusetts.


St. Peter's church in poor state of repair. John Maidstone refuses Bishop of London's choice of vicar and appoints his own incumbent.


Post mill built on Boxted Heath at the place now called Mill corner


English Civil War. "Oath of Allegiance" to Parliament, many parishioners sign or make their mark on the document.


"Witch Fever" arrives in Boxted, hence the Betty Potter legend.


Siege of Colchester. Battle on Boxted Heath and skirmish in the area of Hill farm and the Cross Inn
For further details look on the Civil War site


The beginning of the Salvation Army smallholding scheme on what was once Boxted Heath. This followed a loan by a Mr. Herring to establish a 'labour colony' to put the 'landless people on peopleless land'. Sixty seven smallholdings were established; most were of five acres with part planted to fruit. There was an outhouse, stable and semi-detached house for the tenant.


Opening of the Methodist School in Chapel Road, and a visit to Boxted by General Booth of the Salvation Army, to inspect the smallholding estate.


Overcrowding at village school. As well as younger children being sent to the Methodist school, some were sent  to Myland school.


Closure of 'Thatcher's' in Mill Road. Record hot summer with a temperature of 101F being recorded on June 20th.


First doctor's surgery opened in the village by Dr. Slade of Nayland. The surgery was held in Mr. Maylyn's old Schoolhouse on Straight Road.


The Great War. The war affected village life enormously. Many young men left the land for the armed forces; 16 of whom lost their lives in the conflict. A large number of horses were also taken for service with the army, leaving a shortfall of animals to cultivate the land. Women took the place of men on the farms and in industry.


Armistice and end of hostilities. Much celebrating in the village.


Maylyn's Shop

Closure of Butchers Arms beer house on Workhouse Hill, and the end of trading at Maylyns shop in Straight Road. Smith and Vesey's shop was sold to a Mr. Randall who started a radio business, and later opened a garage nearby.


Redecoration of chancel in St. Peter's church.